With the warm weather here, it’s a thrill to shed those heavy layers and throw on a pretty dress. But with so many choices out there, how do you know which dress is best?
Before you fall in love with the color, vibe or even the price of a dress, you need to take a long, hard look at the style. Does it suit your shape? Finding a dress that flatters your particular body type is the key to looking wow! Here are three styles of summer for women over 40 that are guaranteed to work for you.
Shop these sheath dresses: Teal Shift Dress | Pink Shift Dress | Striped Sheath Dress
1. The Sheath Dress
A sheath dress is class all the way. It’s a long, lean body skimming dress that encases your body, enhances your curves or creates them where there are none. This elegant style is typically sleeveless with strong waist definition and a back slit or pleats. It is unfussy and is a fabulous choice for work or anytime you are going to an important event and aren’t sure what to wear. Michelle Obama is famous for her sheath dresses.
Sheath Dresses are perfect for:
- hourglass figures- show off the curves you have at their best
- boyish or thick-waisted figures- creates the illusion of an hourglass
Sheath Dresses are tricky to wear if:
- your body is not proportionate
- you have a large protruding tummy
Shop these shift dresses: Black & White Shift Dress | Blue Lace up Shift Dress | Leopard Shift Dress
2. The Shift Dress
A shift dress is the kind of dress every woman wants in her closet because it is easy and comfortable. It’s sort of like wearing a long top. It hangs loosely from the shoulders (sometimes has darts) and falls straight down to above the knee with no waist definition.
Shift dresses can be sleeveless, have short or long sleeves, and they often have a high scoop or boatneck neckline. Since they are looser than a sheath dress, they give off a casual, relaxed vibe and are excellent for covering up problem areas because they give your body room to “shift around.”
Shift party dresses for women over 40 Dresses are perfect for:
- anyone with a boyish, straight up and down, rectangular figure
- gals with a thick midsection
- women with a jelly belly or large hips or thighs who need something a little looser
Shift dresses are tricky to wear if:
- you are very curvy because they will hide your hourglass figure (although in some cases you can try belting one)
- the dress is too baggy- a slightly tailored sheath with a slight A-line flare is best, so you don’t look like you are wearing a bag
- you wear one that’s too short- Shift dresses are on the short side, and if you have large thighs, you will look heavy. The solution is to add tights or leggings. They look great with shift dresses.
Get more tips on how to wear a shift dress correctly, as well as my suggestions for shift dresses that will make you look Fabulous After 40
Shop fit and flare dresses: Pink Floral Fit and Flare Dress | Red and blue Fit and Flare Dress | Blue and White floral Fit and Flare Dress
3. Fit and Flare Dress
The fit and flare style is one of the most popular silhouettes, and it’s no wonder. This style of dress has a fitted top with a very defined waist and a flared skirt. A fit and flare will make you look very shapely and is a godsend if you have a heavy lower half. Women love it because it is feminine and pretty.
Fit and flare dresses are perfect for:
- balancing out a bigger bust – the wide skirt can even you out creating an hourglass
- concealing wide hips or heavy thighs
- giving everyone curves especially women with boyish, no waist shapes
Fit and flare dresses can be tricky to wear if you:
- want to look sophisticated. Some look little girly if they are too short or depending on the pattern.
Check out these tips on how to style a fit and flare dress as well as my suggestions for fit and flare dresses that will make you look Age-Amazing!
Which style of dress do you usually buy and which type do you avoid? Comment below.
(Visited 48,519 times, 21 visits today)
Поделись с друзьями
Рекомендуем посмотреть ещё:
Wedding Dresses for Older Brides Long sleeve fit and flare dress 2017